Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Across the Universe by Beth Revis: Book Review


Summary:
Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.
Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn’t do something soon, her parents will be next.
Now, Amy must race to unlock Godspeeds hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there’s only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.


Review: I had this book on my shelf and once my friend started telling me how much she was enjoying it I had to move it to the top of my pile and read it immediately after midterms. And I’m so glad I did! The book was fantastic and had so many different elements but written to the power of ten – drama, thriller, suspense, romance, dystopia. I was worried about all the attention this book was getting prior to my reading it, but all the praise is well due to Beth. The book raises a lot of questions and, for me, a lot of fears that I have about the nature of man and society: the corruptibility, the structure, the liabilities, etc. The re-organization of society on Godspeed reminds me of the same feelings I had reading The Hungers Games and makes me ask the same question: How did it get this way? I honestly cannot say enough great things about this book without sounding entirely cheesy (which the book is absolutely NOT) or without completely giving away spoilers, but I will say... READ IT! I would definitely recommend this book doesn’t matter whether you are a science fiction fan or not. I definitely cannot wait for the sequel to this because Amy and Elder’s story has really only begun now.

Beth does include a couple lyrics from the song "Across the Universe" right in the beginning which fit perfectly into her story. I thought I would include the song just because it does have incredibly beautiful lyrics. Granted, it's not the Beatles version but Rufus Wainwright does the song great justice (and Dakota Fanning was adorable back at that age). Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment